The Lewisburg Academy was founded in 1812 by Dr. John McElenney as a co-ed school. After the Civil War the school became the Lewisburg Female Institute; Later,, and across town the boys division opened as the Greenbrier Military Academy (later Greenbrier Military School). Robert L. Telford was the last president of the school while it was the Lewisburg Female Institute, the name changed to the Lewisburg Seminary from 1911-1923 and would be renamed the Greenbrier College for Women and in 1933 it was finally named the Greenbrier College till it closed in 1972.
Despite two fires, the rebuilt Greenbrier Hall now serves as the campus of the New River Community an Technical College. Carnegie Hall is a performing arts center that was once..... and the North Hose Museum once served as the presidents home starting with Robert L. Telford.
The current alumnae association teamed up with the Greenbrier Military School for a join reunion in 1982 and attracted over 400 people. The Alumnae association aims to connect school mates and share all the great memories from their time at the Greenbrier College. We hope you can join us for our next reunion in 2020!